Whether you're a seasoned nanny interviewer or a first timer it's important to be properly prepared for your nanny interviews.
With a little bit of well spent time you’ll be much more focussed, able to weed out nannies who don’t share your goals, and ultimately make better hiring decisions.
KiwiOz Nanny Agency Sydney recommends My Nanny Toolkit to help you through this process. My Nanny Toolkit has all of the templates and tools you'll need to work through the interview process. In the meantime, check out our top three tips!
Getting started- our Top 3 Tips for interview success:
1. Know what you want You can't expect to find your dream nanny without first knowing what you want! What do expect your nanny to do on a day to day basis? What values you are looking for in a nanny? What does your dream nanny look like and how would she behave?
2. Know what to look for Lots of applicants will have experience or qualifications but will they be a professional? It's crucial to find out if your applicant will work with structure, have initiative and motivation for the job.
2. Know how conduct an effective interview Interviews take precious time so it's important to use it wisely. Before you head into your interview, make sure you've prepared an interview checklist, an employment agreement and some important questions you'll want to cover with applicants.
A typical interview
A typlical first interview will take place in a calm, quiet environment without the children present (if possible!).
The interview will have a structure:
1. Introduction- Welcome the nanny and tell them about your family 2. About the job- Review the job description and answer any questions 3. About the nanny- Review the nannies CV discussing previous positions 4. Suitability- Ask critical questions to determine the nannies suitability for your role 5. Closing- Let the nanny know if you're interested and organise a 2nd interview
Remember to let the applicant do most of the talking!
- What do your perceive a nanny’s role to be? - Why did you choose to become a nanny/ get into childcare? - What do you consider are your qualities with regard to looking after children? - Have you ever had a period of unemployment & why? - Why do you enjoy looking after children? - How would you entertain the children on a day-to-day basis? - What sort of meals would you prepare for the children? - Could you help my child with weaning, table manners, potty training, reading? - Are you First Aid trained? What would you do in the case of: bad cuts/ burns/ blow to the head/ choking/ fever? - How do you see your role in disciplining my child/children? - What household tasks are you happy to perform? (e.g. nursery duties only, light housework, ironing, cooking) - Are you happy to baby-sit? - When did you pass your driving test? - Driving history/ have you had any accidents? - About your family background, hobbies etc - When would you be available to start a new position? - What salary are you seeking? - Here are my hopes & expectations for a nanny- do you think they are fair? - What hopes and expectations would you have of us as your employer? - What will you provide us with as a professional nanny?